Thursday, June 02, 2005

DSM-320 Widescreen Settings

This one'll only be for the visually anally-retentive out there, such as myself.

I've noticed a couple things with my DLink media player when it's set up for a 16:9 widescreen display:-
  1. If you watch a video that is 4:3 format - it is compressed horizontally (i.e. very big black bars on either side)
  2. If you watch a video that is wider that 16:9 (i.e. 1.85:1 or 2.35:1) then it is vertically stretched to fill the screen

Both a bit annoying!
Now I'm fairly convinced that this is down to the DLink rather than the media server software or hardware. I emailed DLink about it - as a reply to an existing support response, but no answer yet - I will just raise another support ticket I think.

I had a bit of a play with the setting and as a result I've set up the DLink box to give me 4:3 Letterbox display - which gives the most control as you can use the various ratios of the widescreen TV to generally get it showing right. Obviously loosing quality on widescreen as you have to zoom it - but it'll do for the moment.

Update: [Awaiting reply from DLink support team.]

1 Comments:

Blogger Moo_Cow said...

Buy an Xbox, Put a modchip in it, download Xbox Media Center. You'll never need another media, player, server thing. :) It supports all the standard and HD Formats as well.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home