Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Buy another iPod? Or something else?

It's been a long and painful demise for my beloved iPod. Is suppose if I was being more accurate, it's not quite dead yet - but it's dead enough for me to not want to use it any longer.

The first thing to go wrong was the line out socket in the cradle, which knackered after about 10 months, this was still under warrantee though and was replaced by the nice people at Apple Centre.

The first battery died pretty much the day after my warrantee expired and was not replaced by any nice people associated with Apple as I believe the going rate was $AUD200. Which to be honest is outright robbery. So I got a replacement for $69 and installed it myself - which was fun but not as bad as you may think. I think that one might have lasted 9 months before going the same way - now down to about 4 hours running time.

More sadly [in a way] my headphones started falling apart. If you've never tried them - I highly recommentthem - Sony MDR-EX70 (or the latest equivalent). I should point out that they are 3 years old - which is about as long as I'd expect any small headphones to last. So I've been very happy with them. Very expensive to replace in Australia though :(

Now the end is very bloody nigh as it looks like the hard disk in the iPod is fairly dead - serious disk scans just hang. There seems to be about 4% of the disk available - about 260 songs. I've formatted, restored, updated, re-installed and even sung song to it in the hope of getting it to work again. No joy though. Bugger!

What to do now? I dunno. Here are the options as I see them

Apple Products

$149 0.5GB iPod Shuffle
$229 1.0GB iPod Shuffle
$299 4.0GB iPod Mini
$359 6.0GB iPod Mini
$439 20GB iPod
$499 30GB iPod Photo
$649 60GB iPod Photo

Creative Products
$340 5.0GB Zen Micro
$380 20GB Zen Touch

iRiver Products
$380 5GB H10
$450 20GB H320
$529 40GB H340

I really can't be doing with buying anything smaller than 20GB as I have at least that much music. Which leaves me at the following

$499 30GB iPod Photo
$649 60GB iPod Photo
$380 20GB Creative Zen
$529 40GB iRiver H340


God Knows!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home